Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Last minute Decision...Desolation Lake

Sept. 9, 2012
I woke up to late to go to church.... I guess I'll go on a hike.
Hello Nature, I've missed you

This is the horrible planning I am use to when deciding to go on a hike. It is a major reason I don't have big groups with me, I don't give enough notice. For example, this hike I sent out a few invites and made a quick facebook announcement, an hour later I was out on the trail. Kinda hard for most people to be able to just pick up and go on this kind of timing. However, I was, once again, able to rely on Norm Bryner. You're the best Norm!

Norm waiting Patiently at the
trail head.
The original plan was to hike up to Dog Lake from the Mill D trail head.... So Norm and I met at the park'n'ride at mouth of the canyon and headed up. I highly recommend always have some kind of music picked out for these rides up the canyons. Reason being: Call Me Maybe came on the radio and that catchy song gets stuck in your head for the rest of the ride. THANK THE HEAVENS FOR IPODS! Once we parked I was able to hook my earphones up to my shoulder strap of my camelback, and blasted some City and Colour. Within steps dear ol' Carly Rae was no longer filling my head. Not sure how Norm handled it, but considering there were a few cases during conversation that he quoted the song, I'm think not well. (or maybe that was just teasing me for my wonderful radio choice)


The trail is a little more difficult then Milcreek side, but that it's worth it just for the awesome views. There are a lot of look out areas and rest stops along the way; when choosing a stopping point be sure to find an area that is wide enough to allow others to pass by. There is plenty of shade so don't stress about moving forward, shade will be come along soon.

It's a fairly busy trail not only with hikers but a lot of mountain bikers. This is why I recommend waiting for a larger area to rest. This is also the reason I kept my headphones on my strap and not in my ears. Many times the bikers will come cruising down the trails and the only notice you'll have is the sound of their brakes, wheels, or maybe a little bell. When you hear one coming be quick to jump a side. I would suggest not jumping into a bunch of unknown plants...that can lead to a itchy rash, which makes for an uncomfortable calf during a hike. :(



This is Ali Goulet, he knows Norm from riding (remember Norm is a very good cyclist) so he stopped to chat for a bit. It was avoiding Olly that I jumped into am bunch of unknown weeds creating red itchy bumps on the back of my leg. I couldn't be to upset, he was a really nice guy, and he gave me a shout out when he was coming down behind me. I was overly jumpy and didn't look where I was going. Dumb me.

By the time Norm and I made it to the fork in the trail it was .6 miles to Dog Lake and only 1.9 more miles to desolation lake. Well we had both seen Dog Lake so we decided to take the longer trail. Last minute destination change? Heck yes we will, and off we went.

The first part the split off trail is steep, and you can get tired fast. We passed a few people who were just chilling on rocks in the shade; to that I say "Good call". We stopped a couple of times, took a few pictures then continued on our way. I would honestly recommend the occasional stop to just take a look around, even if you aren't tired. It will make the hike much more enjoyable, and you notice more things like the little critters, interesting plants, and some pretty scenery.

After you get pass the steep part it mellow out a lot, and you come to a really gorgeous meadow.
Once you reach the meadow you're about half way from the fork to the lake. This is a good spot to maybe take a moment to get some pictures, enjoy a snack, and just wonder along the path. No need to hurry, the lake isn't going anywhere. As we were walking around the meadow we heard a Moose making a lot of noise. Not sure what the noises were for, but it was pretty humorous. I tried to get a video recording of it, but unfortunately that didn't work. Sorry for the disappointment.

Well after a bit more hiking.....

We have arrived!
There was plenty of rocks to sit on around the lake. I wouldn't sit to close to the water if you're wanting to relax, bees and flies are all over the place. Sitting a few feet away you'll be good. The picture doesn't really do it justice, but the water was a brilliant blue, green and yellow. It was stunning, and kind of reminded me of an Iris. We chilled there long enough to eat some snacks to regain energy, relax a bit, and then headed back.

Picture from Norm
(not sure what I'm doing down in the corner) 
Overall it was a very enjoyable hike. One of my favorites so far.
Location: Desolation Lake
Directions: Drive up Big Cottonwood Canyon 8.8 miles from the traffic light. There is parking on your left. GPS N 40° 38.976' W 111° 38.884'
Difficulty: Moderate
Company: Norman Bryner
Music: City and Colour
Date: Sept. 9, 2012
Length: 6.6
Snack: Luna Bar and Soy nuts
   NOTE: Definitely take food on this hike. Once we got to the lake I was starving, the Luna bar expecially really helped me get through. Also, my camelback was a life saver, by the time we got back to the car it was almost empty.
Follow the blue trail

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a really fun hike, I need to go more up that way. I haven't really hiked too much north of Utah County. Sorry about jumping in the wrong weeds.

    ReplyDelete