Friday, September 28, 2012

Finding my Hikes

I have one book that I'm using to find my current hikes, it's called 60 hikes within 60 days, the Salt Lake City Edition.

It's been really helpful and a life saver when I want to find the a hike quickly. The beginning page has a list of all the hikes and the county they are found in. A few pages in is a section called Recommended Hikes, go here if your trying to decide on a length of a hike, if you have kids or pets with you, looking for a certain kind of scenery, etc.  The recommended hikes are a very easy way to make a decision. However, I suggest checking out the page containing hike you are considering. These pages are very descriptive and have a lot of information including where to find the trail head, distance, difficulty level, etc.

I want to check out all the hikes in this book, but I would like to see these hikes in more then one season. Each season can bring a new element (fall leaves, spring flowers, waterfalls, etc.)  So I keep track of the date I went on the hike, and who I went with so when the time comes I can try them again, and invite my company to come along if they'd like. 
How I keep track of what hikes I've done and what time of year...

I keep these notes because it is helpful for what I would like to accomplish; they are my records so I know when I should go again.

This book has been incredibly helpful, and I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to experience some Utah hiking. Of course, if your not looking to hike in Utah, 60 hikes within 60 miles has a whole series, find the location nearest you.

I bought my book from Barnes and Noble. Here is a link to buy it online:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/60-hikes-within-60-miles-greg-witt/1110785908?ean=9780897329422


Outside of this book my second best source has been suggestions and recommendations. Those come with time, the more people know about your hiking interest the better the recommendations get.

No comments:

Post a Comment